Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Smoking in a gas oven

I wanted to smoke some pork shoulders for the Family camp I cooked at last week, but didn't have time to try and do it in the BQ pit that is out side the dinning room. So I decided to try to smoke them in the large gas ovens they have at the camp. I made a foil bed for the coals, and then found some great assorted hard woods left over from a craft in the storage area. I think there was cedar, redwood, and maybe some mahogany. 
I got them started with fire on top of the grill. (For a safe place to let them burn, the grill was not on.) Then I put out the flame and left them smoldering. 
I put the foil bed with the coals on the bottom of the oven and then turned the oven on to 275^. I used a Cowboy rub on one of the pork shoulders, and a Sweet and Sassy rub, (both from Grillmates), on the other. I slow cooked them for about 7 hours.  I think if I was to do it again I would cook them just a bit longer, they pulled apart, but were just at the edge of being able to pull and not. 
Anyway, on the whole I was happy with the whole experience. I am not sure how it would work in an electric oven, but I think I want to try to build a smoker and try to get that good smoked flavor more permeated in the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment